Earn Money 9000 upto.. click it...

Sunday 21 August 2011

There’s one person more excited than anyone else about the release of Mankatha — its director. “Not because it’s my film, but because it’s Ajith sir’s, that too his 50th one,” says Venkat Prabhu, whose film is due for release on August 31.

It’s old news that Venkat is a huge fan of Ajith. What is new is his attempt to project the actor in a way never before seen in films. “I approached Mankatha as a fan. I asked myself how I would want to see Ajith sir on screen and then set out,” smiles Venkat. “It was a huge responsibility because he came on board after listening to a one-line narration. I did not want to let him down.”

The music and trailer have received a good response and fans are waiting to see a new Ajith on screen. “There is huge pressure. The burden of expectation is there. But, we want to satisfy all with the film. It is my first action film too, and our team has tried its best to achieve international quality on a local budget.”

This film is special in more ways than one. Venkat has moved away from his “comfort” actors (the Chennai 28, Saroja and Goa gang) and signed on stars known for their drawing power (Ajith, Arjun, Trisha, etc). “But, we had a great time with ‘thala’ too,” says Venkat. “Now, I’m probably more comfortable with him than with the boys. Once you get close, he’s sema cool to hang out with. And, I’ve wanted to work with him for long. I missed two chances — Aegan and Aasal. I’m glad this one worked out.”

The director also departs from his habit of getting experimental in the way he narrates a story. “This time around, I’m keeping it simple. I want even my daughter (who is eight) and her friends to understand it,” he says.

Is this a reaction to the lukewarm response to Goa? “Ah Goa,” he sighs. “I really don’t know why it did not click. It was a fun film, but people who saw it either loved it or hated it.”

Mankatha was also actively promoted on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, a first of sorts for a Tamil film. “Our initial decision was to keep a low profile. But, we all got carried away because we wanted people to know what fun we were having making the film. So, we started with teaser photos from the sets — Ajith used to make biryani for us, and we had a shot of his hand when he was serving the food. We showed all, except his get-up,” says Venkat.

But did awe for the actor get in the way of work? “No. At that moment, you are in charge and you know what to do to get what you want. And Ajith was very sweet, giving as many takes as I wanted. The magnitude of the whole thing will probably sink in after the film’s release.” Think Venkat Prabhu and you automatically think of his brother Premgi and cousin Yuvan Shankar Raja, both of whom seem to reserve their best for him. Venkat laughs. “Yuvan and I grew up together. He gives me his best, as always. As for Premgi, he’s a natural. You can’t make him act. If you know him well, you know the right button to press.”

After this, what? “A break. I never plan a new film while working on something. I’d love to chill out and then think. There are plans for a sequel to Chennai 28. But, I’m not sure if I can recreate that magic. We all know what happened to Hangover 2, right?”

Venkat does have a few scripts in mind, but in a genre different from what he has attempted so far. “But, one thing is clear. It will bear my stamp.”

Source: The Hindu (Dated: 21-8-2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment